Throughout the House
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let light in
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
3. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
8. Air out your home for one-half our before showings, if possible.
9. Lightly spray the house with air freshner so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
10. Put family photos in storage.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
12. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
13. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper.
16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
17. Wash all windows inside and out.
18. Use plants in transitional areas of your home.
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential
20. Remove and/or hid excess extension cords and exposed wires
21. Open Doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
23. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
25. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner
26. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean. 27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances
In the Bedrooms
28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating
29. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
30. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean
31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage
In the Bathrooms
32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use 33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white
34. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
35. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean,
36.Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
37. Keep your yard mowed and raked at all times.
38. Use flowering plants to dress up yard, walkway, and patio.
39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from yard.
40. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios, and other extensions of the house should b kept uncluttered.
41. Paint all entrance doors.
42. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
43. Clean and shrine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (Door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
45. Use a doormat
46. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order,
47. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.